HOME    NEW ARRIVALS     MONTHLY SPECIALS     ABOUT US    NEWS    CONTACT US     MARTIAL ARTIST     EVENTS     BRAND     FACEBOOK    TWITTER

Sunday, August 12, 2012

Change on the Horizon

Well this year has flown by for me thus far.  Looking back it has been the most difficult year for me in terms of training.  Almost a constant battle of highs and lows, more so of the latter where I haven't had the luxury of any consistent training.  This has been primarily due to soft tissue injuries which appear to be more prevalent than anytime before.

There are a number of issues which have probably influenced my training or more so my enjoyment and motivation of doing Taekwondo.  Work commitments have increased as has my desire to lead a more balanced life.  For a number of years it has been easy to justify training 5-6 days a week, I had clear goals in sight and with regular competitions it helps to maintain the focus. 


Putting all that aside the hardest thing that Im struggling with this year is the injuries.  About six weeks ago,  I found myself completely injury and pain free for the first time this year.  It was really liberating to feel positive again about Taekwondo and I began eagerly looking forward to our up coming nationals on the Gold Coast. 

There was a fresh goal, something to focus on and work towards.  With that stepping up the training was easy and enjoyable.  I have to say its the best I'd felt all year.

Sadly I've had another set back where on Friday night training with the state team at OTC, Ive strained or more than likely torn my troublesome adductor.  Again!
The flood of disappointment has hit me like a wave.  The thoughts of Im to old and my body is trying to tell me something are constant.  Its almost like a cruel truth that as much as I love my sport my body wont allow me to train the way I used to.  My training has been more focused on preventative injury exercises, than focusing on becoming a better athlete.

Realistically I need to reassess what I hope to achieve at this years Nationals.  At the very least I am hoping to compete just to gain some valuable court time though everything beyond that is dependent on whether my body heals in time to get any sort of training in.

Regardless of my current circumstance I still have one very strong goal that I wish to achieve.  The World Para Championships are only four months away and Im going to do what ever it takes to get there and give it my best shot.  Its been in the back of my mind for many months now I would love the opportunity to represent my country again in this event.

As for after 2012?  I think it will be my last year of competing and perhaps time to pursue other goals in life.  What?  At this stage I have absolutely no idea.

This may also be my last post as my motivation to write is somewhat impacted by how my training is going.  You may imagine it can be difficult as I feel as though the constant for me lately is to tell you what injury I currently have and that for me has become somewhat tiresome.
I hope you've enjoyed experiencing some of what I have had to share.  The highs and lows throughout the journey and through life. 

Thank you to you all for your support.
Feel free to say hi at any time or keep in touch on face book.

Cheers,

Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment