HOME    NEW ARRIVALS     MONTHLY SPECIALS     ABOUT US    NEWS    CONTACT US     MARTIAL ARTIST     EVENTS     BRAND     FACEBOOK    TWITTER

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

World Championships Aruba - Fight Day

Aruba Sports Stadium, Santa Cruz.
Thankfully it had air conditioning!








I glance at the clock and it shows 3am. The next 3 hour's are slow, I keep telling myself to relax and sleep but it doesn't really work till finally the alarm goes off at 6.30am. Breakfast, waiting on the bus and traveling to the venue fly by as most of my thoughts drift between relaxing and not thinking about the comp to picturing myself in that first minute fighting.


We arrive at the venue to see the draw, fight 7 against Russia. I don't think much about it other than I know I have 30 minutes from the time the first match starts till I'm on. It's down to business. We're warming up in an air conditioned tent outside the stadium. It's warm but bearable. Jin is coaching me, "take it easy warming up. Kick only at 80%". Moving around I feel really good, sharp and on the ball. We do about 45 minutes then I pad up and start the mental game. Waiting. So much waiting and thinking. My thoughts fly from anxiousness and fear of losing through to confidence because I defeated this guy two years ago. With all this going through my head I tell myself to breathe and calm my mind.


Daedo chest guard is on, the size 4 is too big for me and always a little restricting but despite this I ask Jin to tie it loose. The theory behind this is if the guard has room to move its harder for your opponent to find the adequate power to register a score.

10am. Preliminary Final Russia: Boris, age 37, Taekwondo instructor.
Injury appears to be left shoulder related though he has full use of both hands.
We walk out onto the mat, bow and start. I think "no test"? oh well no time to worry about it now. The mats are old and very soft. Awesome! I have great grip. We start, adrenaline is pumping as usual. Motioning and kicking, I glance at the screen and scores are level, 2 all. The one minute round goes so fast it's over almost before it even starts. Second round begins and I remember firing a fast running kick to the body and hearing the pop. The Chinese Taipei team (who are staying at our hotel and supporting me) cheer from the stand. "Score" I think and I follow up with another clean shot to the body. Another cheer and I relax glancing at the score. It must be 4-2 but I'm shocked that it's still 2 all! Not panicking in a split second I come to two conclusions. Either my left sock is not scoring or I don't have enough power on my left running kick. I tell myself, switch to my right leg and what usually works with electronic scoring is counter attacks. I wait for him to attack and fire hard at the body, it scores! The third round scores are 3-2 and the only thing that runs through my mind is wait. Hold the point, do not attack just jam, clinche, block and hold the point. It's too close to take a risk and try to attack and score again. It pays off and I win, relief flooding through my body.

Afterwards Jin asks what happened and I explain my thoughts on the fight. I'm not scoring either through lack of power or a faulty foot sock. My game plan from here is wait for counters and maybe score in the clinche.

11.30am. Semi Final Azerbaijan: Alexandr.
It's his third championships also, he won silver in Baku '09.
He is a left amputee at the shoulder.
Jin asks the ref for a test because I need to know why my kicks were not scoring. The test is ok. Compared to Saint Petersburg the organisers must have increased the power required to register a score. The game plan is simple, wait for the counter, on the spot or slide out. My aim is to be in front at the end of the first round because then I can dictate how the match proceeds. In fact I'm confident that if I'm leading by the first round I will win. The remaining 2 1 minute rounds are just too short.
The match begins and I feel completely comfortable. I'm faster than my opponent, my timing is good. I'm blocking his attacks and trying to kick harder making sure I get the required power (displayed on the screen, the kick must register higher than 30). The first round flies by and scores are level. Second round begins and the harder my opponent tries to score the easier it becomes for me. I've won this and with that realisation my confidence grows, I try a few things. The final scores are 9-5.

I'm in the final and after that match I'm confident. The first match jitters are gone, I'm completely switched on and ready to go. Warming down we're told the finals will be after lunch starting at 3pm. 4pm passes slowly as the demo team starts warming up for the opening ceremony at 6. The hours are ticking by slowly as we sit with the British and Finish Teams and it's not until after 5pm that we are told there will be four finals after the opening ceremony with which I'm one of them. Of course everyone wants to see the rematch between Australia and Iran last! It's not the news I wanted to hear but there's nothing I can do except wait.

What becomes apparent is that there is little organisation behind our comp as the opening ceremony is delayed. Caroline Massimino wrote me the night before the comp offering her support and told me "enjoy it". It's really hard to remember to enjoy the experience when your only real focus is performing at your best on the biggest stage. But I take the time out and watch an impressive opening ceremony. The highlight I thought was numerous 6 year old kids, dressed up in costumes dancing to different cultural themes from around the world. Really impressive!

When the Korean demo team starts their performance, Jin grabs me as its time to switch on again, time to warm the legs up again. I have drank over 6litres of water, eaten all my energy food though despite this I have a head ache and my legs feel heavy. I don't care though, I want to fight and smash the Iranian! I want the gold and do believe I have what it takes to win again.

8.30pm. Final Iran: Mahmoud, age 32 (though as Jin said and I agree "looks 40 mate").
Unemployed, lives at home with his parents.
He also is a left amputee at the shoulder.
My thoughts as I walk out onto the mat are, wait for the counter and be in front at the end of the first round. We begin as the first round ends I can tell he is clearly my strongest opponent of the day. His blocking is sharp and I find it extremely difficult to get a clear shot on the chest guard. He leads 1-0. Second round goes much the same as the first, I can't seem to score. He leads 2-0. My game plan of leading has not eventuated, he's in front and there is one round to go. Jin tells me doubling up will score on him as the third round begins. I have not panicked but I know now's the time to find something special. We start and I try to score, in doing so I'm open and he lands point after point. I try to double but my legs feel like concrete, they are so heavy. 30 seconds to go and he leads 5-0, a clear thought flashes through my mind that I've lost. I push that away so fast and scream to myself "don't give up!". Just do something!
It is to no avail, I'm so exhausted, light headed, heavy legs that he goes on to win 8-2. At the end we bow, I can only imagine the look on my face is the same look I saw on his 2 years ago. I am so gutted, so bitterly disappointed I feel sick. All I can think is what the hell just happened....

No comments:

Post a Comment